Monthly Archives: December 2014

Antifreeze

The arrival of winter brings a deadly threat for cats that many owners are unaware of; Antifreeze.

Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which if ingested can prove fatal if not treated immediately. The initial signs that your cat has ingested antifreeze include depression and lethargy. These can start to show 30 minutes after ingestion and can last for up to 6 hours. Following on from this they may experience vomiting, seizures, increased thirst and urination, oral and gastric ulcers before eventually suffering kidney failure. The latter can occur 2/3 days after initial ingestion so it is crucial that you seek veterinary treatment as soon as possible if you suspect that your cat has ingested antifreeze.

The sweetness of antifreeze appeals to cats so it is vital that all antifreeze is stored in secure containers well away from the cat. It is also prudent to regularly check your car for any leakages as even the smallest amount could be fatal.