We recently received some upsetting news about a kitten that sadly died after chewing on a lily that was on display in the home. Whilst they are attractive flowers to have on show, it is imperative to remember that all parts of the lily are toxic to cats. A small nibble on a leaf or a lick of pollen can be enough to cause fatal kidney failure.
Although events like this cause a great deal of concern, it is important to note that such occurrences are rare as cats are generally pernickety about what they will eat. However, it is still strongly recommended that you take the necessary precautionary action and remove all hazardous plants from your household, particularly if you have a kitten or an indoor cat as they are most likely to come into contact with any indoor plants. It isn’t just lilies that are hazardous for cats; the International Cat Care website contains a comprehensive list of hazardous household plants. It is strongly advised that you read this list to check that your home is safe.
If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you should contact your vet immediately. Signs to watch out for include; repeated vomiting, severe diarrhoea, signs of excessive irritation of the throat, skin or mouth, or if you cat suddenly collapses. If you see your cat eating something which you suspect is poisonous then take them to your vet immediately, ideally with as much information regarding the plant as possible (a label from the plant would be ideal). DO NOT encourage the cat to vomit.